OUR SERVICE INITIATIVES
In keeping with our founder’s vision, chapters and members of Iota Phi Lambda Sorority implement and execute programs and projects throughout the year to further the aims and ideals of the organization. These initiatives include:
- Lola M. Parker Award (Outstanding Woman of the Year
- Tutorial – Members assist the educational system by providing remedial help for those with academic weaknesses, and work to eradicate illiteracy.
- Mahala S. Evans Award (Outstanding Soror of the Year)
- Career Exploration – Programs are designed to help broaden youths’ awareness of career opportunities and to assist in preparing them for the world of work.
- Toys “U” Can’t Return: A teen pregnancy prevention project designed to help educate communities about teen pregnancy and develop effective action agendas for preventing children from having children.
- Iota Mothers Assistance Program (IMAP) – Program designed to provide outreach services to meet the needs of teen and disadvantaged mothers.
- Youth: Future Iota Leaders (FIL) – are preteen and teenage girls and boys who are mentored by members of the Iota family. Programs provide socialization and development opportunities for youth leadership training, and encourage them to realize their potentials to the fullest.
- Scholarships – are awarded annually on the chapter, regional, and national levels.
- American Education Week — Members work in support of the National Education Association via its national theme to celebrate and embrace America’s public schools.
- Black History Month — Programs are designed to encourage youth and adults to understand the issues faced by African Americans, to share ideas and reactions, and to recognize African Americans who have had a significant impact on our nation and the world.
- Correspondence Week — Iota’s program designed to foster sisterhood throughout its membership.
- Business Month — Iota’s capstone programs occur throughout the month of April. Activities focus on efforts to stimulate interest in business education and to recognize to those who have made outstanding achievements in the field of business.
- Founder’s Day- Celebrated annually on the first day of June throughout Iotaland.